GET OUT AND EXPLORE
An innovative 'uncamp' option this summer for kids 8-11 years.
Designed with care by Molly Ames Baker, a professional outdoor educator with over 30 years experience.
SELF-SCHEDULED • SELF-PACED • SELF-GUIDED
5 - DAY UNCAMP
When You're A Kid Every Day Can Be An Adventure!
Kids Ages 8-11 Years
Discover Harbor Springs in a whole new way. We provide a foolproof format with flexible scheduling so you can make the fun!
Your Adventure Pack Makes It Easy To Explore:
1. Explore at your own pace and time with a parent, caregiver or
somebody in your inner circle.
2. Go on a new Quest each day using your Map and Quest Card.
3. Get a Bonus Bag each day with activities for at-home adventuring!
4. Do all 5 daily Quests to earn a prize on Friday.
Instead of traditional camp style with kids gthering in groups, Backyard Adventures uses an innovative alternative to minimize contact–self-scheduled, self-paced, and self-guided excursions. COVID-Smart practices are used at Basecamp when you come for Adventure Pack pick-up, check-ins (optional), and Friday's Trails End sharing and prize pick-up. See below for more details.
Why Is Backyard Adventures
Good For Kids ?
Backyard Adventures is a structured, but unscripted, way for kids to:
Explore their own yard, neighborhood and community
Learn about where they live
Get outside and use their sense of wonder
Discover new things on their own
Develop independence and skills for everyday adventuring
Register For 1 or More Sessions!
FOR KIDS 8-11 YEARS (3rd - 6th GRADERS)
Backyard Adventures are expertly designed by a professional outdoor educator as 5-day sessions. Each week brings new daily destinations and quests.
Space is limited and pre-registration is required. No two sessions are the same!
Adventure A: June 22-26
Adventure B: July 6-10
Adventure C: July 13-17
Adventure D: August 3-7
Adventure E: August 17-21
Fee: $75 per child per week
Receive a 10% discount for 2 or more sessions. Each week offers new destinations and daily Quests!
All You Need To Know
What's In My Adventure Pack and Bonus Bags?
DAILY QUEST MAP AND QUEST CARD - each day you get a sealed envelope with a map and card to guide you.
SUPPLIES are included in each envelope to use for a hands-on activity each day.
PUNCHCARD–punch your card each day when your Quest is completed; bring your compass punchcard to Trails End on Friday at Basecamp to get your prize
MINI COMPASS - a 2" compass to help orient on your adventures
MINI JOURNAL and PENCIL–with ideas for capturing your adventures on paper
KIND SNACK BAR
5 SEALED ENVELOPES–one for each day containg what you need for the daily Quest (Quest map and Quest card plus supplies)
Card with instructions and more ideas
Supplies needed for your at-home adventure, which may be building, drawing or doing something
What Does The Fee Cover?
• ADVENTURE PACK–drawstring bag with 5 sealed envelopes for daily Quests (including Quest card, map and needed supplies) plus a snack bar, compass punch card and mini journal
Is Backyard Adventures COVID-Smart?
Where Do I Go Adventuring?
Your daily Quest card and map will direct you to a new destination in the downtown Harbor Springs area each day. Every site is within walking/biking distance.
Week At A Glance
• Receive an email reminder and watch LET'S GO! VIDEO
• Check-in at Basecamp* and pick up your ADVENTURE PACK!
EVERY DAY (M-F)
• Go on your DAILY QUESTS to different destinations in the downtown Harbor Springs area.
Self-scheduled, self-paced, self-guided. Everything you needis in your Adventure Pack.
• Grab your DAILY BONUS BAG for at-home adventuring.
• Optional: check-in at Basecamp to share your stories, maps, creations.
Come to TRAILS END at Basecamp* to share your adventures and get your prize.
* Basecamp is located across from Pierson's. Walk-in, schedule a time, or do curbside, whichever works best for you. Covid-Smart practices will be used.